Friday, April 16, 2010

Photo Number 165

Two sisters?  Perhaps.  They appear to be wearing two or three piece outfits cut from the same pattern.  I will just assume that women especially in rural Minnesota either sewed themselves or went to a dressmaker. I am sure in bigger cities you could buy ready made clothing.

This photographer I P Wood was in Delano, Minnesota from 1894 to 1895.  There was no record of him being in Rockford.  He obviously was there at some point in time.  I shared a copy of this photo with the Minnesota Historical Society because they have a directory of Minnesota photographers, they can now include Rockford as another location for this photographer. I consult their site on a regular basis to help me date photographs.

The laptop seems to be working as advertised..I must be getting old..since I sometimes doubt new fangled things..like wireless Internet connections!
Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love this picture! You are probably right about sewing their own dresses from the same pattern. The only thing I find slightly different is that Girl #1 on the left has 16 buttons showing below her jabot and Girl #2 has 16 buttons showing in total. Considering the closeness of the buttons on Girl #1, her dress could be using a hook & eye closure with decorative buttons. Also very interesting on Girl #2 is that her pin at her throat looks like a little sword pierced through the fabric from left to right. Girl #2 has velvet sleeves and a velvet collar of some sort, good for cooler climes. Her skirt, although she is seated, has some interesting draping which suggests a fuller skirt in the back, where Girl #1 has the typical Belle Epoch A line skirt. Thank you for the return to the 19th century, for now I can say something other than "great photo!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say, I can't imagine how long it would take to put all those buttons on the dress front and how long it would take to get dressed. I went to Osceola today and dug something up. I will ship tomorrow if life goes my way.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie