Saturday, January 2, 2010

Photo Number Seventy


Today we begin a journey through some of the South Dakota Photographs that a fellow blogger mailed to me.  These are all unknown people to him..some have names and some do not..I scanned them all at once and have some people with the same last names.  Most of these photographs originated in Illinois.

This is the beautiful Delia ( corrected to Della) Hettinger, the photo was taken by The Rose Studio in Champaign, ILLS.  Through my research I found that this Studio was in business around 1900..so that is the date we will use for this photo.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)
Update: Jinglebob very kindly sent me these photographs.
He commented: A little background. My Grand Mother went from Illinois to South Dakota to homestead, along with several of her brothers. Her family, the Bauers, were farmers from around the Sterling area. We still have quite a few relatives in that area. These old photo's would most likely have been of friends and distant relatives of my Grandmother. Hope you enjoy them. By the way she would have come to South Dakota around 1908 or so.
I have to correct this name..it is Della.. Abra found a Della that was born in 1886.  Thanks for the correction Abra!!  We will move the date on this photo to about 1904 to 1906. ( She would have been 18 to 20)   


**** This photo is headed to Della's daughter Virginia by email.  I will send the real photo to her very soon. This is our first real success..I am just thrilled..many thanks to Abra for making the connection to Della's relatives through an Ancestry site!! :):) 


*** From a relative Virginia is in her late 80's now and happy to hear about this.  When I showed her the picture, she was the one who brought up the story about going to the Dakota's one time to see family there. That sealed it for me as I did not mention where the photo was until afterwards. Della lived here in the central Illinois area all her life and is buried just up the road from me. Still not sure when the photo was taken. But Della was 11 years old in 1900 if that helps in aging it. Thank you for the effort you put into this.


Secor, Il.  Jan 11, 2010
Michael came to my house today with the picture of my Mother (thank-you so much)  I said "the face is familiar but I can't tell who it is."  I was apalled when he told me who is was!! Of course this was way before my time.  It is a small world afterall..


Mom was born and raised in the Sterling area and had beautiful auburn hair.  Her family later moved to Decatur and I don't know how she finally met my Dad. 


I am 87 years old and when I was 9 or 10 or somewhere in that age group Mom and I and a sister and husband drove to South Dakota to visit a relative who lived in a "sod house" by the name of Katie Purcul. It was quite an adventure and took a long time to get there, as there weren't cars then like today- believe me we didn't go 65 miles an hour. 


Michael seems to really enjoy this genealogy thing he has gotten into and seems very sincere in his efforts.  His Mother was a long time friend and cousin.  Michael plowed out my driveway a few days ago after seven inches of snow.  Bet you got more-I do shovel but at 20 or so minute intervals.  That shoveling is a killer you know. 
Thanks again for the picture. I wish you many blessings in the new year.  Many wishes, Virginia 

10 comments:

  1. It is so curious that someone in the Dakota's ended up with great grandma's stuff from Illinois, but that is how it works. I have two albums of a family that lived in an old house that my father tore down. Relatives are gone, died out, the house sat empty for two or three decades. The abstract has two people on it, the first family, the church that inherited it. My dad bought it in 1976. Family history I can find in some of the diaries that were left behind, but the relatives live out east.
    The young woman looks like she is getting a graduation photo or a coming out photo taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delia is an unusual and beautiful name and she is indeed lovely. I wonder if she had reddish blond hair? It's fun to try and imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little background. My Grand Mother went from Illinois to South Dakota to homestead, along with several of her brothers. Her family, the Bauers, were farmers from around the Sterling area. We still have quite a few relatives in that area. These old photo's would most likely have been of friends and distant relatives of my Grandmother. Hope you enjoy them. By the way she would have come to South Dakota around 1908 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did find a Della Hettinger in the 1900 census, but no Delia. The gal I found was born in 1896.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abra..I think it might be the gal, the i that I imagined could be an l. I will scan it and add it to this post. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sent a note to someone that had a family tree with Della Hettinger in it. Her records were somewhat limited, but I could find more, I am sure, if I dug more! Hopefully the person I sent thenote to will stop over here!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ned to correct myself. The Della I found was born in 1886 (not 96) as I previously stated--I think I had 96 on the brain. That would make your first asumption about the date a little closer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I screwed up on the date--it is 1886. ~Abra

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a match!!! I sent you an email with the details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I mailed the photo off to Michael on Thursday Jan 7, 2010. Hopefully a story or two about Della will be shared! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie